Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A deeper thought.....


I've been reading lots of my friends' blogs today and have been thinking a lot about responding to a lot of their posts. The funny thing is that, as I've started to think more about what I would want to say, I've noticed that I don't really have a lot to say.

Well...that's not completely true, I have plenty to say, you can ask Whitney, I have plenty of strong opinions, and I'm not afraid to voice them. The interesting thing is that I have this crazy tendency to see both sides of the situation.

So, when Becca talks about Abstinence being the real cure for AIDS, I totally agree with her! Its true, people should realize the consequences of their actions, and not expect the medical profession to cure them for them. At the same time, I think about the way the Atonement works, and I realize that, in some ways, that is exactly what the Atonement is doing for me. I make decisions that I know full well are in direct opposition to the laws of God, but I still do them, and I am so greatful for the atonement that allows me to be "cured" from those plagues. I can't imagine that people are saying to themselves "Who cares about AIDS! I'm gonna' do what I want, and if I end up with it, there's doctors that will cure me!"

Then there is the whole other load of people who totally deserve a cure to AIDS. These are people who either got it against their own volition or who aren't educated enough or don't have the resources to protect themselves (only 6.4% of AIDS cases exist in High Income/First World Countries). These people definitely deserve to have access to cures, and by those standards, I think AIDS truly is an epidemic.

But I still believe that people should be taught Abstinence and protection to be able to control the spread of AIDS.

So...what do i believe? I don't know, I'm not sure that I really can say I stand on one side or the other, I guess I just haven't made a decision.

Does that make me a fence sitter?

1 comment:

Kaija said...

I love that picture of a fence. And no, I don't think you are a fence sitter. You clearly stated what you believe. Just because you don't see an issue in black and white terms, doesn't mean you don't have a position.